Sunday, January 22, 2012

Guardian

My dog does not like when I'm sick.

So, when I got pneumonia this week - - don't ask; no idea; probably forgot to wear a hat or something - - she was not herself at all.

It began early during a long weekend with a houseguest, so she just stopped eating normally.  Her job was just to make sure that I was being guarded. With so many people around, it was pretty easy. (My pup is not like normal Estrelas. More people in the house just makes a happier dog.) As long as I was being taken care of, she just checked on me occasionally if someone opened my door, and she ate very little.

Then, on Wednesday, we were left alone. I think she and Koshka had a shift schedule planned. One guards the house; the other is a blanket.  Switch. Switch again.

If you've ever had a fever that won't go away, you'll understand that an extra, heated, fur blanket is quite nice laying next to you!

Wednesday afternoon I actually went to see the doctor. I know, I should go sooner. I say that every time but never ever do. I found out what I had and got some pretty good medicine. I actually had a good night for once, and decided to get up in the morning and take care of the animals so that Jim could sleep a bit more.

What a happy dog! Wags and wiggles and an entire breakfast eaten in about a second! We stayed up until we got the family off to work and school, then I went back to bed.  This confused her.

I'm not sure if she figured that if sleeping next to me helped, then closer was better, or if she just had no intention of allowing me to stay in bed, but she decided to sleep on TOP of me! If I rolled, she stayed! I felt like that commercial where the poor person is laying on the couch with an elephant on her chest.

Here is a phone pic:

Be impressed.  It's not easy to take a pic on your phone while being covered by an Estrela, over your shoulder without looking!



So, we moved to the family room and she curled up around my chair.

The cat has relinquished all of her guard duties. Now, I just have my puppy following me. Next to me on the bed, time by the front door, time curled around my chair;  back and forth between keeping me warm and protecting.

She's back to only eating if I'm moving. Luckily, I'm moving a little more each day.

She is such a good dog! (When she's not laying on top of me)

No comments:

Post a Comment