Thursday, October 27, 2011

Good Dog

I tend to write about antics.  And, let's face it, she has way more of those moments than any others, so it's pretty easy.

Today, however, we are going to focus on a brief moment in time where she truly impressed me.

One of her biggest challenges is meeting people at the door.  She becomes so exuberant that some people are actually afraid of her.  I think the UPS delivery man is either an Olympic athlete or he can teleport.  He can knock on the door, and be sitting back in his truck before Zuzu and I reach the entryway.

The Terminix men have serious Zuzu-fear as well.  They will not step in the house if she is present.  The first one wouldn't even step onto the front porch until I had put her out back.

On Monday, I called them back to help get rid of some seriously creepy spiders that were visiting just in time for Halloween.  I hadn't actually seen any of them, but the webs they were stringing and flinging around my porch and deck were not how I prefer to decorate.

As usual, Zu was out back when he was inside and inside when he was out, but I had released her to roam when he reached the front door for the final signature.  She was so excited when he came to the door!  She would finally get to meet the bug man!

I looked at the excitement in her eyes and the fear in his, and realized that opening the door at that very second could be tragic if I didn't control the situation.  I looked over at her wagging and barking body (yes, body, not tail and head; her entire body was shaking, wagging, and contorting in excitement) and said, "Sit!"

Guess what? She sat!  I said, "Stay!" and opened my front door while holding my breath.  She let me step outside to sign the paperwork, and didn't even bark!  She was such a good girl!  I even heard the Terminix man say, "wow", softly.  It was very cool!

When I finished, I thanked him and stepped back inside, with no puppy antics whatsoever.  I gave her lots and lots of love.  She is such a good girl!

Now if we could only get her to calm down around the Senior in high school that Darby has started dating, who also is afraid of dogs.

Never mind, nix that.  A healthy fear of dogs is probably good for him.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment