Friday, April 29, 2011

Boring Week

I suppose life with a puppy is never actually boring, is it?  So when I say boring, I only mean there were no really cute or humorous stories to report about.

Puppy training on Monday night went well. I was all bristled for the choke chain fight and was ready to defend my dog's neck fur with my life, but all of the trainers were fine with her martingale collar. Too easy!  And they even let us use treats for the come command since we weren't pulling their leashes this time. That made it much harder for her to stay though. Last week, she was all about the stay...why would I want to move if you have nothing for me?

Other than that, it's been a week of split personalities, but no momentous events.  I blame her teeth and our allergies/colds.

She has lost FIVE puppy teeth in one week - and those are just the ones I have found in the house! I don't blame her for being moody. And her chewing is kind of funny. It is constant (toys, sticks, her tail or paws, me) but I can tell her mouth is sore because her bite is so gentle that it's more of a gnaw. She has a giant bone that she's been working on for two weeks, and there are barely any teeth marks in it.

Plus, both Jim and I have been under the weather all week, so her walks and playing time have been irregular. In order to get our attention, she'll try anything from cuddling sweetly to growling and barking and biting (luckily softly). As I've been typing this on my iPhone this morning, she began cuddling nicely with me, then progressed to sitting nicely whenever I was scratching her neck or ear, to biting my hand as soon as my finger touched this screen! She can be a demanding "OUCH!" little shit sometimes!

Other antics included Jim putting all of the dirt back in the flower garden and it taking her less than a day to put it back the way she likes it, and her need to guard everything. (Though I have starting using her brother Kodi's command of 'enough' after she has alerted me of a threat, and that is at least distracting her into not barking for now). She is so very pleased with herself when she lets me know that there is a bird in the bushes or a PE class on the other side of the fence.

Or I suppose her antics could be explained as Darby so eloquently put it this morning in the kitchen as I was stepping around Zuzu and letting her sample the kids' lunch as I made it, "Mom, you spoil the crap out of her! I think even her crap is spoiled!"

And that's a 'boring' week with a puppy.


Sitting on my lap while I type.

Resting with Daddy on Tuesday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment