Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Walking


Our challenge lately has been walking.  And, though I will regret saying this later, things are getting SO much better.

Her biggest problem is still her desire to meet every other dog on the street, so one of the things that I have started to do is put her citronella collar on when we walk.  As soon as she tugs, I give her a warning ‘beep’.  Only twice in the past two weeks have I had to actually give her a spray of citronella.  And those were during the first two days.

Lately, she has been learning to self-correct.  If she gets to where the leash pulls, she comes right back to me, unless there is something that she really really wants to get to or get away from.

Luckily, the raccoon wandering down the middle of the street was down wind, so she didn’t smell it.  She was curious, but under control.

Unfortunately, the garbage truck heading up the street towards us yesterday was faster than we could walk, and pulled up right next to us with men jumping out towards us.  Zuzu panicked!  Luckily, she tried to run away, not towards the chaos.  Beeper and choke chain ready, I was able to get her a little bit away and have her sit, until she calmed down enough to switch walking directions.

She was prepared today though.  Anytime any vehicle passed us, she placed herself between it and me, trotting along, daring it to attack.  None of them were as big as a garbage truck, but I’m sure she would have faced anything down today, just to earn back her status as a guardian.

Then, I had to chuckle at the lady walking her dog in the rain this morning, with her pretty raincoat and umbrella.  Her tiny little terrier had a rain coat and hat too!  Zuzu and I walked by, proudly dripping.  Hey, we didn’t have our makeup or princess ballerina costumes on today, so we didn’t mind being soaking wet.  And my cute, giant puppy had a nice loose leash as she walked, unlike the well-dressed adorable creature trying unsuccessfully to pull her owner down the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment