Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Food

In order for two dogs to coexist, there must be food.

When food causes fights, it's a problem.

When the super-smart (not) owner forgets that food causes fights and decides to eat her dinner on the back deck with the dogs, the owner realizes just how non-smart she is.

Yes, I forgot.  Yes, I brought my dinner of mashed potatoes and turkey on the back deck where the dogs were.  Brilliant, I know.

As soon as Zuzu smelled the food, she attacked Zee.  Zee had had enough of her shananigans and smashed her down onto the floor. She yelped!  He stopped.  She attacked again.  He smashed her down onto the floor.  She yelped!  He stopped.  I decided that was enough wrestle mania on my deck and grabbed Zee and tossed him into the screened in porch.  Tressa had already brought my food in for me, so it was no longer there.  Then I realized that I wanted Zu in and Zee out, so I grabbed them both and switched them.  I'm not sure what I was thinking, but it worked.  Then, I decided that I wanted them to figure it out on their own, so I threw Zu back outside.  (I was really, really tired.  It was a long day yesterday.  My thoughts were not too rational.)  Luckily they are good dogs, the food was gone, and they both just sat there and looked at me.  Then wandered away together.

It made me worry though. It had worked that time, but we had to teach Zuzu that this is not okay behavior.  So, when Jim got home, he decided to fix it.  We went to hang out on the back porch and I brought some wine.  Zu went for Zee and Jim swiftly corrected her (sort of a swat/grab/wrestle/yell correction).  She backed off and was fine.

We decided to take it up a notch, so we brought the dogs inside and he brought out the Pupperoni's, Zuzu's very favorite treat in the whole wide world.  He made them both sit, and gave them both treats.  Not even a growl!  They both laid down for him and both got treats.  We gave them lots of love and praise and put the treats away.

We will do more training tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment