Thursday, February 16, 2012

Death of (another) Toy

We had a trash can funeral for one of Zu's favorite toys today.  It was a plastic ball that lost its bounce.  Super sharp teeth bit right through it and made it quite un-ball-shaped.  Many tennis balls have suffered the same fate.

I have decided that whoever makes dog toys, has never owned an Estrela.


"Plush Toys"

Hmmm....and the point is?  I love the ones that look like ducks and squirrels.  If I wanted to feed duck or squirrel to my dog, I'd buy her a real one to shred, not a stuffed one.


"Martha Stewart toys"

Doesn't she own Chows?  Aren't Chows big dogs?  Hers must have excellent manners and only cuddle with their toys, not actually play with them.


"Rope Tug toys"

Zuzu loves these!  But, pay attention to the "don't leave pet unattended" instructions, unless you want to be picking up poop with multi-colored string in it for a couple of days.  The same string will also speedily break a vacuum as it wraps around the spinning brush attachment.  Luckily I learned that one before Santa brought me my Dyson.


"Designed for the toughest chewers"

This must not mean what I originally thought that it meant.  I kind of thought it meant that my dog could chew on it, for a while, and it wouldn't break into tiny rubber pieces.  And "double stitching" only means it will last maybe five extra minutes.


"PetStages Orka and Nylabone Durachews" actually last for quite a while, as long as there are no rope attatchments.  Zu has one blue orka ball that she has had since we first got her.  One orka bone has been replaced twice, but she really likes it and it lasts a few months, so it was worth it.  The Durachew has lasted almost six months.  You have to watch out for the Durachews though.  You can't toss them without denting the floor when they land, and if you accidentally kick it as you walk by, you could break a toe!


I'm starting to think that hiring a policeman with pads and installing my own agility ramps in the backyard might be the best toys for her.  Unless anyone wants to step up and volunteer (other than Tressa, who has already managed to put her bedroom door through the drywall wrestling with the dog).  Any takers?










No comments:

Post a Comment