Friday, February 10, 2012

Bed and Couch

The Bed

So, when I told Jim that I wanted to get a big dog this time, his one requirement was that the big dog would not be allowed on the bed.

Oops.

I'm not sure if it's the weather or her new love of cuddles making her want the bed.  (Or maybe her new love of cuddles is related to the weather.)  But whatever the reason, I can't keep her off it.

In my defense, Jim started it.  He called her up first.  Honest.  Then he remembered that she is too big and he made her leave.  The damage was done.

As soon as we head upstairs at night and into the bathroom to brush our teeth, she's on the bed.  Waiting.   Getting comfortable.  Sleeping.

When she's 'sleeping', she's very good at pretending she's deaf.  It's like trying to wake up a teenager.  "GET OFF MY BED!" I holler, as I tug and push and pull the dead weight that is an unwilling dog.

She gets down.  And then she pouts.  And then I feel guilty and sorry for her as we settle down for the night and she walks over and puts her head on the bed next to me.  And as I scratch her head, one paw ends up on my shoulder.  Then two in a sort of bear hug.  "Mommy?  Please?"

And then I quietly pat the bed.  KerBLAM!  Giant dog...on the bed again!

If we're tired enough, three of us do actually fit.


The Couch

Again, Jim called her up once, but then decided that it's not a good idea.  Poor puppy!

She doesn't try to sleep on the couch by herself like she does on the bed, but as soon as we're all settled in front of the TV, she stares at us longingly.  If I give her rubs, she'll do the sneaky crawling into my lap thing that she gets away with on the bed.

We don't, however, all fit on the couch.

If it's just Jim and I on the couch, she knows that she can fit and she won't even try to sneak onto my lap on my side of the sectional.  She'll just eye the empty side and give a giant leap!  It's a really old couch that will be making a trip to the Salvation Army soon, so I'm tempted to let her stay.  I know that when we get rid of the couch though, I won't want her on the new one, so down she goes.

I've started to recognize the expression on her face when she's about to pounce.  A well timed "NO!" is effective and actually quite funny.  If I wait just before the impending jump, the front paws come off the ground, the eyes get wide, and there's some slipping/sliding going on on the floor as she tries to pretend she wasn't actually going for the couch.  hee hee!


Maybe I should just buy a couch cover when we get the new couch and let her cuddle.  I'm sure Jim would LOVE that!


No comments:

Post a Comment