Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Nice and Naughty

One of my girls was rotten yesterday.  I’ll give you a hint who....her name starts with Z and ends with uzu.
I’m exaggerating.  It’s just so funny how days change so quickly from one mood to another.
Last week we found Zuzu a house in Virginia.  At least that’s what my realtor said!  It has a decent backyard with a nice tall fence, a walkout basement (perfect for future puppies) and a great dog park less than a mile away.  And there’s even a veterinarian at the entrance to the neighborhood!
We got home after midnight Friday night and Zuzu was the only one in the house who woke up to say hello.  We hugged for two days!  Again, I exaggerate, but it was so nice to see her again and we really did have a lovely weekend.  Tons of cuddles and great walks and good training.  She is such a good dog!  Plus, I swear she grew while we were gone.  Jim weighed her on Sunday and said she is now 67 pounds.  And it looks like all of her big girl teeth grew in and they’re huge and white!
When we got up on Monday morning, I knew it was going to be interesting when she had put two of her “babies” in her mouth before she finished her breakfast and was trying to pick up her third.  (Her babies are the stuffed animals that she stole from PetSmart during her puppy Kindergarten.  We had to practice walking around the store, and each time she would grab something new from the toy aisle that we would end up buying for her.  She has Piggy and Lamby and Froggy.  I think PetSmart knew exactly what they were doing!  The last few weeks, we only walked her in the fish aisle.  Don’t worry - no fish were harmed!)  
Anyway, that many soft toys in her mouth at once means her teeth hurt.  Look out!  
If that was all that she did when she was uncomfortable, we all would have been okay, but does ANY puppy stop there?  Yeah, I didn’t think so.
Let’s see.... We had an amazing long walk, but her longest nap all day was about five minutes long and the rest of the day was spent stealing things.  Daddy’s sweater, Darby’s clean socks (that should have been put away after they were folded.....hmmmm....), Koshka’s toys, the garden house, another couple roses - and this was all while she was being supervised, but would escape quickly and was way more efficient than normal at her grab and go!  She was put in the crate several times, just so that I could get stuff done and so that she would calm down, but as soon as she was released, she was off and running again!
The worst capture was after dinner, when I looked under the dining room table and she was gnawing on a steak knife!  Luckily, the plastic end was way more interesting than the metal end, so only the knife suffered, not her mouth, but it frightened me.  I have no idea how she even managed to nab it, other than the rest of us were busily doing our after dinner chores and just didn’t even realize that a knife was missing from the dish stack.  
I locked her in the kitchen with me while I did dishes.  She was bored, of course, so the circling and barking began.  As I bent down to put some dishes into the dishwasher, she grabbed froggy and jumped up on my back with her front paws.  I chose to ignore her (which I am learning only SOMETIMES works) and she dropped her toy and bit my head!  Ow!  I’m just glad she’s been gifted with knowing exactly how hard to bite to be irritating, without braking skin or leaving any marks.  How do dogs know that stuff?  
And when they leave no marks, you get no sympathy from husbands either.  
“She BIT me!”  
“Let me see.”  
“There’s nothing to see.”  
“Then she didn’t really bite you, did she?” 
“But it hurt.”  
“Couldn’t have hurt that badly.  Why were you letting her jump on you anyway?  You know she’s not allowed to jump on people.”
Again, I exaggerate.  I didn’t actually say anything because I was guessing that was the response that I would have received.  And by the time I thought it all through, my head didn’t hurt anyway, so it was a mute point.
So, I stopped doing dishes and played tug of war instead.  What’s the old saying?  If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!

No comments:

Post a Comment