Thursday, May 19, 2011

Deja Vu

I just read an amazing note from Kodi’s dad, Ron.  Kodi is one of Zuzu’s siblings.  I love how similar they are and how everything that Kodi does reminds me of something Zuzu has done.  And, if it doesn’t remind me of something, then I just take it as fair warning that it’s something Zuzu will soon do!
SIMILAR STORIES  
Barking at anything unusual  
Kodi - He has the whole neighborhood memorized and I swear he knows the exact number of deer in the woods. Anything unusual brings out the alert bark and growl – we’ve watched him closely and if it is movement in the woods or a strange smell it is bark,bark bark until the threat is gone, identified or I go out and tell him enough and to just watch. The deer must feel safe as they now bed down close to the house at night.
Zuzu - Oh. My. Goodness.  Tulips on the Counter!  Really, they had her in fits for two days.  The tulips did NOT belong and she wanted them GONE!  If I brought them down to the floor for her to sniff, she just ran away and barked louder.  It  makes me wonder how she’ll deal with the giant change of moving across the country this summer.
Flying through the air towards someone  
Kodi -  Latest trick – fly through the air and slam into you (or Keiko). I mean fly not jump – he takes off at least a yard away from you and careens into you at chest height. Working on trying to figure out how to break this one. It all started the other day when walking him, a pit bull mix flew out of the bushes and attacked us. Kodi was quick to the challenge (can’t believe a puppy would charge back like he did) and he backed the other dog down and stopped him without getting into a fight, thank God. All the while I was tangled up in his and Keiko’s leads. Don't know if was Keiko’s size or Kodi’s ferocious growl and response that sent the other dog packing but whatever it was it worked. Perhaps he is practicing knocking another dog down as he is doing it with Keiko also.
Zuzu - She’s not as bad as Kodi is...yet.  Again, I take it as fair warning.  But, when we play fetch, unless I am sitting down, she will not bring the object back to me because she would prefer to be chased.  Today, as we were having a fun game of fetch with a giant tennis ball, she discovered that if she runs at me really hard, doesn’t stop, and throws her front paws into my chest, I tip over.  That amused the crap out of her!  The rest of the game was played that way, but at least I was ready to dodge her and grab the ball after the first time or put my hands out to stop her.  If she ever does that to me while I’m standing up like Kodi does, I’ll be history!
Baby teeth gone and chewing everything  
Kodi - Finally lost all his baby teeth and is chewing on all his toys, sticks and Keiko.
Zuzu - Ditto.  (Hey, that’s her real name!  Hahahaha!)
More clumsy than before due to one end growing  
Kodi -  I weighed him yesterday at the vets and he weighed in at 72 lbs. He is growing in spurts, one end at a time. I swear he is more clumsy now than a month ago. He runs with abandon only to trip over his front feet as he looks back to see who is after him.
Zuzu - Her growing is weird.  The first time she grew, it made her legs look super short and her body look super long. Then her legs grew.  Then her body grew.  Then her back legs grew.  Honestly, just her back legs!  Then her front, then her back again.  She’s like a stretchy teeter-totter!  This makes for more clown-type antics than our cat ever demonstrated.  We have hard wood floors (hee hee hee!) that she cannot stay upright on!  And, she loves to jump all over the yard furniture, but she’ll completely miss her feet going up or down and actually face-plant!  Plus, she tries to pounce on balls like a cat, but never judges correctly when her feet will hit the ground.  One of these days I will get some of this on video.
Rainy Days require doggy Valium  
Kodi - Joan just came into the office wanting doggy valium. It is raining and he is in a wilding.
Zuzu - Rainy days are soooo challenging!  At least on rainy days I expect extra antics and I kind of feel sorry for her.  Still, valium would be nice!
DIFFERENCE
Meeting new people  
Kodi - He is getting groomed for the first time this Saturday. Lindsey our groomer is excited, I’m not as he really doesn’t like being handled by a stranger. Hopefully, he will look good for the dog show on Sunday. It is just the novice puppy class as they must be 6 months old to compete in the puppy class. Oh well another phase of socialization for him as he hasn’t been around a large crowd of dogs and people.
Zuzu -  She has no trouble with new people or being handled by them.  If she’s not distracted by something else like another dog or food, she is all about the love!  She will lean into any scratches and eventually roll over for belly rubs.  I’m not sure how that will effect her “guarding” of the house if we ever need her, but it makes parks and visitors more fun.  When it’s time to show her, we’ll have the most trouble with her trying to “meet” everyone when she’s supposed to behave!

No comments:

Post a Comment