Friday, August 19, 2011

Smart Dog

Every once in a while.....ok, once in a great while, Zuzu lets it show how really smart and trainable she is.

Our mornings and walks have a pattern. I had more than normal to do this morning before our walk, which displeased her.  But, when we got outside, she had her best young lady behavior on ever.

After she poops, we head to the trash can by the basketball court, then we usually do some training there. Today, she turned straight for the court on her own, went into a heal, and when I stopped, dropped straight into a sit without even a tug on the leash or verbal command.  First time ever!

She jogged next to me in circles and only bit at my shirt once, slowed down when I did, stopped when I did, and did an amazing long down stay, followed by a come & sit. She did a pretty good sit stay, but pivoted her butt to watch a jogger go by. But hey, she stayed sitting.

So I decided to go a little crazy. One thing we learned at her last school was to have our dog come to us, sit in front of us, then you say heel and step towards them and they spin around to the side into a perfect heel position, then sit. The lady that demonstrated it merely made a little circle with her hand and her German Shepherd gleefully obeyed, and looked up at her with adoring eyes. The rest of us rolled ours.

We all actually got it down pretty well, by saying, "heel," physically walking into our dogs, while tugging them with the leash into a heel, then sit. Zuzu never liked it, but followed the leash most of the time anyway.

This morning, as she sat happily in front of me, I relaxed the leash, made the circle move with my hand and began to step, and I'll be damned if that furry little wonderful beast of a princess puppy didn't circle around next to me into a heel, and then sit!!!!

Next.....we went straight home, because I was not going to press my luck any farther.




No comments:

Post a Comment