Monday, August 29, 2011

Charlie Bit Me

It wasn't Charlie, it was Zuzu.  But if you haven't seen the YouTube video, go Google "Charlie Bit Me", then watch it, then come right back to this blog.

Now that you know my reference, I will continue.

Last night, I stuck my finger in my dog's mouth.  She was chewing on something and I didn't know what it was, so I went in after it.  As it turns out, it was a small piece of one of her rawhides and she was NOT pleased that I was taking it from her and she bit my hand.  And (said with a little kid's Brittish accent), it really hurt!

She never likes when I take stuff from her, but normally she just sort of tries to hold on, then reluctantly lets me win, then she sulks.  Not last night!  She was one pissed off pooch!

Well, it made me angry too, and it hurt my feelings.  I corrected immediately.  Then decided to try again.  (I am the actual runt of the litter, which means I didn't get my fair share of smarts either.)  So, I gave it back to her and took it again.  And I got bit again.  And I corrected again.  And we did it again.  (Okay, maybe the alcohol in college stunted my intelligence even further.)  Yup - Bite!  I smacked her on her nose!  She flinched and looked at me with utter confusion.  I saw a brief glimpse of her contemplating a response of, "Game ON, biatch!" But, she reconsidered, and just sat back.  I said, "Drop it!"  She did.  I gave it back.  I said, "Drop it!" She did.  "Good Drop It."  I gave it back.

I left her alone for a bit.

I found her again later.  I said, "Drop It!"  She just looked at me and lowered her head.  I said, "Drop It!" and squeezed her mouth to get it open and took it.  She snapped my direction, but didn't bite.  I threw away the rawhide and replaced it with a treat and went to whine to my husband, who had been quietly pretending not to watch the entire episode.

"She bit me, AGAIN."  "Did she bite you that time, or just snap near you?"  "She snapped."  "There's a big difference between a bite and a snap."  Thank you again, Mr. Rational. (Don't worry, I'm smiling as I type that.  I actually love the balance of his calm with my storm.)

"Plus, if she really wanted to bite you, she could have broken your fingers.  She wasn't happy that you were taking something that is rightfully hers.  She was letting you know.  You let her know that it wasn't okay.  You corrected her.  She stopped.  I think it's fine."

Hmmm.  Maybe, but I was still sad.  I don't like fighting.

Once in bed, she just laid on the floor and looked up at me, with her big brown eyes.  So, I crawled out of bed and slept with her on the floor for a little bit, as she licked my fingers.  Then we were happy again.

Funny thing - I was still sticking my fingers in Charlie's, I mean Zuzu's mouth.  Only luckily, Zuzu wasn't biting.




No comments:

Post a Comment